Hearing on the owner’s plans to renovate and add on to the historic Stone House.
SCHEDULED: 9:00 A.M. Wed., July 12
LOCATION: Monterey County Government Center - Board of Supervisors Chambers 168 W. Alisal St. Salinas, CA 93901
Plan to attend, write or email today!
Help preserve the historic integrity of the AM Allan House by attending and speaking at the Planning Commission hearing, or by sending a comment to:
Monterey Planning Commission
Re: PLN 150133
c/o Dee Van Donselaar, Associate Planner
Monterey County Resource Management Agency
114 Schilling Place---South, 2nd Floor
Salinas, CA 93901
Or Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and McDougalM@co.monterey.ca.us
The original structure was used by Portuguese Whalers as a Saloon, Store, and Stage Coach Stop in the 1870’s and later became the manager’s home for the Mal Paso Mine Company. When purchased by Alexander MacMillan Allan in 1898 and “fixed up” for his family to live in, this was known as the “Big House”. Allan’s Point Lobos Ranch grew to more than 2000 acres including the remaining lots of the 1878 Subdivision at Point Lobos named ”Carmelito”. He spent the next decades re-acquiring the lots that had been sold. Without the Allan family efforts, we might not have our beautiful Point Lobos State Reserve today.
AMAP is pleased that the new owners decided not to demolish the Stone House as they originally proposed, but still have concerns that historic integrity will be lost with some elements of the current plans. The historic granite block fireplace, quarried from the Point Lobos Quarry (1854-1858) hearth and face are to be demolished and retaining the original post and beam construction is not in the plan.
Interior view from 2014 real estate listing (still found on the internet) showing the historic granite fireplace quarried from Point Lobos, built between 1878 and 1898, and still in use. The “Carmelo Granite Quarry”, located at the present day’s Point Lobos Whalers Cove parking lot, operated from 1854-1858 and supplied granite for the Old Monterey Jail, U.S. Mint and Fort Point in San Francisco and the Mare Island Shipyard. Also note redwood post and beam construction. Is this from the original Portuguese Whaler’s Saloon in 1878 or the 1898 A. M. Allan remodel?
Historic Granite Fireplace and Post and Beam construction
For more information, please contact:
Nancy Runyon, 831-649-8132 or email@example.com